Pamper Your Skin: Aromatherapy Guide
4 WaysAromatherapy encompasses many different methods. When used specifically for skin care, the best methods are:
Facial SteamsFacial steams have long been used to open airways, close up pores and cleans the skin. Take that up a notch by adding essential oils to the mix.
- Boil water and pour into a large bowl (big enough to cover your face)
- Add 5 – 6 drops per 1 pint of water of your chosen essential oil
- Place your face over the bowl, but not in the water, and cover your head and the bowl with a towel
- Breath deeply and let the steam work its magic.
Facial MasksAnother traditional skin treatment, masks and muds clean the skin by pulling out particles and unclogging pores. They also hydrate, treat and revitalize your skin.
- Put 1 tablespoon clay in a bowl and cover with water (just enough to cover the clay, not enough to drown it)
- Add 3 – 5 drops of your chosen essential oil
- Mix under muddy
- Spread on your face
- Wait 10 – 20 minutes for the clay to dry
- Remove and admire your beautiful skin
Any Skin Type: add 1 teaspoon of warm honey to the clay before starting. Acne prone skin: add 1 teaspoon of warm honey and 1 drop of either tea tree oil, German chamomile or manuka oil Oily skin: add oatmeal to the clay (no honey); after mixing everything, try adding 1 teaspoon pureed strawberry as well. Dry skin: add your favourite facial oil to the clay and, after mixing everything, try adding 1 teaspoon pureed avocado Sensitive skin: use Aloe Vera instead of water (or 1 part Aloe and 1 part water).
Oils & CreamsMoisturizer and cleansing oils are probably one of the most common items found in a woman’s “tool box” – after all, dry skin is irritating, cleansers are important and so, for that matter, are toners! Instead of adding introducing your skin to unnecessary chemicals, invest in an all-natural carrier oils or cream and add some essential oils to give it that extra boost.
- Select your carrier oil/cream – the manufacturers will usually provide a guideline for your skin type and use
- Add 15 drops of essential oil for each ounce of carrier oil/cream in the bottle.
- Mix well
- Use as you would any oil or cream-based skin product.
Full Body SoaksThe rest of your body is probably getting jealous of your face – which is where the bath comes into play.
- Select a carrier oil
- Mix 1 ounce of carrier oil with 5 – 15 drops of essential oil (depending on how strong your want the aroma)
- Fill the tub; slowly add essential oils while the tub is filling to get the best distribution of the oil.
- Get in, sit back and relax while the essential oils go to work.
Find the Right Essential OilNo two skin types are exactly the same, and not everyone has the same problems. That’s why it’s best to make sure you’re using the right essential oils for your skin and your issue. IMPORTANT: Never apply concentrated essential oils directly to your skin – always dilute it first. Citrus-based oils make your skin sensitive to the sun, so stay out of the sun for 12 hours after using.
Cleanser(clean your skin and make it shine)
Sweet basil Juniper Lemon Lemongrass Niaouli Peppermint
Toner(normalize your skin by reducing pores and hydrating)
Lemongrass Chamomile (Roman and German) Lavender Neroli Orange Rose Frankincense Petitgrain Lemon
Moisturizer(hydrate normal and oily skin)
Palma Rosa Sweet orange Mandarin Tangerine Rose
Dry skin(extra hydration power)
Carrot Seed Cedarwood Clary Sage Jasmine Geranium Lavender Orange Palma Rosa Rose Chamomile Rosewood Neroli Petitgrain Mandarin Vetiver Sandalwood
Aged Skin(to reduce the effects of aging)
Carrot Seed Frankincense Fennel Geranium Myrrh Patchouli Rose Clary Sage Rosewood Sages Cypress Lavender Neroli
Puffiness(for those early mornings after those late nights…)
Oregano Marjoram Cypress Peppermint Rosemary Fennel Celery Clary Sage Roman Chamomile